Dr. Stavros Nicolaou
Stavros Nicolaou is the Aspen Pharmacare Group’s Senior Executive responsible for Strategic Trade Development. Previously he was CEO of Aspen’s Export Business. Aspen is Africa’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturer and a now world leader in Anaesthetics and injectable anti-coagulants.
Aspen is one of South Africa’s most globalised multinational companies with a presence in over 50 geographies globally, with 26 manufacturing facilities across 6 continents. He was instrumental in introducing the first generic ARV’s on the African Continent developed by Aspen, which has gone on to save hundreds of thousands of lives in South Africa and on the African Continent.
Nicolaou has over 30 years’ experience in the South African and International Pharmaceutical Industry and is a previous winner of the SA Institute of Marketing Management (IMM) Health Care Marketer of the year Award. He was inducted as one of the youngest Fellow of the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa (PSSA), one of the highest honours bestowed by the PSSA, and was recently awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science in Medicine from Wits University.
He has previously and continues to serve on a number of Industry & associated structures, some of which include:
- Member of Business for South Africa (B4SA) Steering Committee and Chairperson of the B4SA Health Workgroup
- Chairman of the Public Health Enhancement Fund (PHEF) – A joint collaboration between the Private Health Sector and the Minister of Health
- Re-appointed for a third term by President Cyril Ramaphosa, to the Board of Brand South Africa
- Appointed to the Government-Business 6-a-side on the President’s Health Compact
- Elected to the NEDLAC 5-a-side on the National Health Insurance (NHI)
- Appointed to the Trade and Industry Minister’s export panel on devising an export strategy for South Africa
- Appointed by the Minister of Public Enterprise, Alec Erwin as Chairman of the Board of SA Express Airways (2005 – 2009)
- Appointed by the Minister of Public Enterprises, to the Board of Transnet Ltd. (2004 – 2010)